What is citation management software?
Citation management software (also known as reference or bibliography management software) is a tool that allows you to:
- collect and keep track of journal articles, books and other resources
- store references on your computer or in a web-based account
- cite references and create bibliographies in word processing software
- link to full text
Some have additional features that let you:
- share your references
- automatically download PDFs
- annotate PDFs
- use it for professional social networking
Which one is right for you?
Below are some of the common questions you should consider before choosing:
- is it free or do you need to pay a fee?
- do you plan to use it to just produce a biblography for the occasional paper or do you intend making it a central tool for managing your information?
- are you prepared to spend some time learning how to use it effectively?
- does it support the journal styles that you will need?
- are help and support readily available?
- does it allow you to easily share references with others?
- do you want to store PDFs?
- do you want to use it on a mobile device?